Monday, August 04, 2008

Monday morning rush: "Men Without Shame"

On the way to work yesterday I heard an announcement for a guitar seminar; not too unusual because in this town everybody either plays guitar or wants to. My ears perked up a bit when they announced one of the participants would be "David Bowie's long-time guitarist Earl Slick.

First thing I thought was, "Damn, that's a name I haven't heard in years." My second thought was "I haven't posted anything to the blog in a few days..."

OK, I know you hate these Monday morning guitar wanks, but that's just 'cos if y'all had it your way, you'd sleep until Wednesday afternoon. Balls to that, I say; get up and crank up one helluva groove from a fine guitar player at his best.



In the mid-80's Slick teamed up to form a group with Stray Cats veterans Slim Jim Phantom and Lee Rocker. After months of careful deliberation, the trio came up with the imaginative name Phantom, Rocker and Slick. The "Men Without Shame" of the title, as far as I can tell, refers to music critics. With a riff like that, though, the words aren't all that important.

I did check, and to my surprise, Earl Slick still tours with David Bowie on occasion. He's also got a band, Slinky Vagabond, which also features ex-Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock (the one who knew how to play) and ex-Blondie drummer Clem Burke. Enjoy.