Sunday, July 27, 2008

When in doubt, a music meme

I don't know what to say about last week, except that it was one of those weeks. Fairly productive, actually; I just didn't feel like being very social. Since I haven't thrown anything new up here in a week, I might as well post something.

This music meme originates from a place called The Responsible Puppet. I wound up there by way of Vox Day, who I read sometimes because he's so far out there he's almost hilarious, which I don't think he intends to be.

Here's how it works:

List 4 – List four artists/groups for whom you can name your favorite song (and the song, of course)

Extras (for those with more free time):

List 2 – List two artists/groups who have too many good songs to choose just one.

List 2 – List two artists/groups who’s music doesn’t include a single work that you like.

List 1 – List one artist/group who only have one song that you like (and the song).

List 1 – List one artist/group who you feel you don’t know well enough to choose.

Suggestions:

Avoid One Hit Wonders

Make non-obvious and eclectic choices


The categories are vague enough that you can tweak them some to make a point or two. Anyway, the idea is to have fun with it.

I. Four Favorite Songs

The Sex Pistols, "Anarchy In The UK"
The Go-Gos, "Our Lips Are Sealed"
Motorhead, "Ace Of Spades"
Nazareth, "This Flight Tonight"

II. Two artists with too many good songs to choose one

Creedence Clearwater Revival
Traffic

It goes without saying that The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, and Led Zep easily fall into this category. Really, I could plug just about any of the great classic rock groups of the 60's and 70's in here. I chose CCR because John Fogerty is one of rock's great songwriters and because the originator of this meme sees no redeeming qualities in the group whatsoever. I mention Traffic as they were one of the great progressive acts of the late 60's and early 70's that has become all but forgotten because most of their greatest tracks were too long for singles.

III. Two artists with no good songs

Budgie, the worst rock band of all time
Loverboy, the most annoying rock band of all time

IV. One artist with only one good song

Bon Jovi, "Wanted Dead Or Alive", the only decent thing the overrated Jersey schlub has come up with in 25 years of trying.

V. One artist I don't know well enough to choose

Madonna. It's not that I don't know her work, or that I can't detect her talent when I hear her on the radio, it's just that her talents fall across every single one of my blind spots, and I have no reasonable idea how to judge her. She gets points for making Top 40 cool again, at least for a while. But she loses those points by being ultimately responsible for Britney Spears.

Feel free to work with this in comments. Or take it to your own blog if you want.