Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"It's cool, mate - it's just my ol' man"



Although Keith Richards is reckoned to have ingested just about every substance known to man, he still can come up with a good surprise from time to time - Keef claims to have snorted his deceased father's ashes:

"The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father," Richards was quoted as saying by British music magazine NME.

"He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared," he said. "... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."


Well, that's the important thing, I suppose...

Since Richards is almost as well known for slinging BS at gullible reporters as he is for his drug use, I'm a bit skeptical of this one. Though it could be that his brain is getting so muddled he's having trouble keeping the stories straight these days.

Keef has created some of the most memorable guitar licks in the entire rock pantheon, but there's another achievement he's been proud of:

"I was No. 1 on the `who's likely to die' list for 10 years. I mean, I was really disappointed when I fell off the list," Richards said.

That picture was taken recently, but he's looked like that for about 40 years now. One consolation of prematurely aging is that you get to spend the rest of your life watching everybody else catch up to you...